Former Marble man honored in special Mass
Brian Schill of Upper St. Claire and formerly of Marble and Clarion was honored recently during a special Mass at St. Paul Cathedral in Oakland.
Bishop David Zubik bestowed the Manifesting the Kingdom Award for distinguished service to Schill, Recipients are recognized for "proclaiming Christ in their communities" and are nominated by parishes, religious communities and the diocese.
Schill, a member of St. Louise de Marillac Parish in Bethel Park, is a graduate of Venango Catholic High School and Clarion University.
He was nominated by St. Louise pastor, the Rev. Michael Caridi. Father Mike, as he is known at St. Louise, said Schill's Catholic faith motivates his actions.
"Brian has served our country in the military, and is actively involved in the community with a number of civic organizations," said Father Mike. "And as a lector here at St. Louise, Brian loves proclaiming the word of God."
One of the most compelling reasons for the award presentation, noted the church, was the way Brian dealt with cancer.
Almost two years ago, Schill was diagnosed with stage four mantle cell lymphoma, and had a stem cell transplant in November 2009.
"Brian confronted his illness with a lot of grace," said Father Mike. "...It was a great witness to me personally. He inspired a lot of people in the parish through his illness."
Schill, who is in remission, said he feels very blessed. "If you had the support I did, there was no option but to survive."
According to Schill, receiving the Manifesting the Kingdom Award was a "very humbling experience."
"I was surrounded by all these ordinary people who did all these extraordinary things and I am proud and excited and privileged to represent St. Louise," he said.
A retired Lt. Colonel from the Pennsylvania Air National Guard 171st Air Refueling Wing, Schill has been actively involved with numerous community organizations. He serves as president of the Upper St. Clair-Bethel Park Breakfast Rotary, is on the Clarion University Alumni Association Board, and is a Wings over Pittsburgh ambassador.
Brian is married to the former Linda Lynam of Marble and they have three children. He is the son of the late Bernard and Margie Schill.
Originally published in The Derrick on March 5, 2011.
VC Featured in Faith Magazine
VC alumni Joseph Janidlo was part of a contingent of seminarians who served Mass with the Pope. Check out the Faith magazine article (pgs 10-12) here.
VC's website launch is featured in the Nov / Dec Faith Magazine! Check out the article on page 28.
- 16 graduate from Venango Catholic
- Golfer Scholarship
- Baseball Field Named
- Margaret Feldman Writing Winners
- VC students to compete in state science competition
- VC inducts 14 into Honor Society
- More graduates, supporters share VC memories
- Special day at VC brings many memories, smiles
- Venango Catholic going strong at 50 while looking toward future
- 50 Year Celebration
- Vikings capture title
- OC man will be escort for Obama at Army-Navy game
- Lending some helping hands
- VC student wins Applefest logo contest
- Cranberry Festival king and queen announced
- VC headmaster leaves post with mixed emotions
- St. Joe's last graduating class to celebrate 50-year reunion
- St. Joe Class of '62 graduates share memories
- Class wants to greet other St. Joseph students at Friday get-together
- 30 graduate from VC
- Samantha Hugar Awarded the Egan Scholarship for Academic Excellence
- Top students named at VC
- VC student named National Merit finalist
- Ex-Vikings star in rugby at Franciscan
- VCHS Names Prom King and Queen
- Venango Catholic High School Holds NHS Inductions
- Venango Catholic High School Prom Candidates
- Local teens put driving skills to test for big bucks
- Willy Wonka
- VC Students Attend Shakespeare Competition
- Venango Catholic Cheerleaders Visit Head Start Students
- VC 58, West Forest 51
- VC Students Participate in District Chorus
- Catholic Schools Week ends with events at VC
- VC Alum Awarded Third Prize in National Competition
- John Carroll honors former Viking Lutz
- Gearing up for Friends giveaway
- Venango Catholic math team finishes third in competition
- Four area stars make collegiate debuts
- Fryburg Naval commander writes from Arabian Sea
- Venango Catholic names homecoming king, queen
- Vikings clinch KSAC golf title
- Venango Catholic homecoming dance set Saturday
- Venango Catholic High School presented with U.S. Flag
- It's Back to the Books for Some
- VC graduate finds she has mission in life
- AC Scholar-Athlete-of-the-Month
- St. Joseph Class of 1961 holds 50-year reunion
- Hawkins takes top spot in tournament
- Hawkins takes first
- Ex-Viking Rynd to play hoops at the Rock
- Lutz earns academic honors
- VENANGO CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL AWARDED OVER $85,000 IN GRANT FUNDING
- VCHS Presents "Touchtone 'M' for Murder"
- Media Celebrity
- OC Kiwanis honors scholarship winners, Hugh O'Brian seminar participants
- 15 graduates receive diplomas at VC
- Venango Catholic names top students
- Venango Catholic National Honor Society Inductees
- VC academic team in Hometown High-Q semis
- Venango Catholic Students Participate in Wash Day
- Venango Catholic Crowns Prom King, Queen
- Fryburg native named commander of Carrier Strike Group Three
- Students do well at English festival
- St. Joseph announces Service Award recipients
- Students Compete, Win at Science Olympiad
- Vikings' Rynd named D-9 boys Player of the Year
- Local stars shine in Kozel all-star contests
- Final 2010-11 Area Girls Basketball Scoring Leaders
- Final 2010-11 Boys Basketball Scoring Leaders
- Former Marble man honored in special Mass
- The streak goes on
- Perfect to the Maxx
- ONE YEAR LATER, VC ALUM RECALLS SERVING MASS FOR THE POPE
- VC CHEERLEADERS TALK TO STUDENTS ABOUT ATHLETIC PARTICIPATION
- Vikings stay perfect
- Venango Catholic remains undefeated
- Big game dream come true for Packers fans in Steelers country
- STEELERS TOUCH DOWN IN DALLAS
- Vikings slip past Lions
- 17 VC students attend March for Life
- Good Luck Vikings
- Several area players earn all-state honors
- Vikings ground Falcons
- Venango Catholic advances in KDKA High-Q event
- VC math team places fifth in competition
- AP SCHOLARS
- Friends for Food passes $36,000 mark
- Right on target
- Venango Catholic marks anniversary of predecessor
- VC graduate returns from Iraq deployment
- Venango Catholic Names Homecoming King, Queen
- Venango Catholic launches new website
- Vikings open with pair of victories
- VC grad completes sub-internship at Cleveland medical facility
- Oil City native receives business award from San Antonio chamber
- 19 receive diplomas at Venango Catholic graduation
- Pragle, Hesdon head KSAC teams
- Ex-Viking Lutz honored
- OC woman elected to student position for physicians group
- Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark visits school
- Venango Catholic High School Receives IT KickStart Grant
- VC student accepts appointment to West Point
- OC girl to get Girl Scout Gold Award
- Rynd surpasses 1,000-point mark
- VC, St. Patrick, St. Stephen set for Catholic Schools Week
- Ex-Viking DeLaney places at Bucknell