The streak goes on
Vikings improve to 23-0 in KSAC championship
Venango Catholic's Maxx Rynd
goes up for a shot over a Union
defender during the Vikings' victory.
Photos by Eric Elliott
Going 23-0 isn't a bad way to start your season.
It's not a bad way to finish up Keystone Shortway Athletic Conference play either.
Just ask the Venango Catholic Vikings which found out on Saturday when they won the KSAC championship over Union, 65-61, at Clarion High School.
"Union is a great team," Venango Catholic coach Ed McIntyre said. "For us, I'm really proud of the kids. They've worked awful hard . It's good for them and it's good for the school."
The Vikings took control of a back-and-fourth first quarter by winning the 14-10 scoring battle with the help of five points from Ben Guth and four from Maxx Rynd.
Venango Catholic's offense continued to roll in the second stanza and showed off its balance as six different Vikings reached the scoring column. Rynd led the way with six points during the 19-17 frame, which fell in favor of VC.
Union's Brody Pollock attempts to
dribble past Garrett Hawkins on
his way to scoring 27 points.
Union's offense stepped up in the second as well with 10 points from Brody Pollock before ending the half trailing 33-26.
After the intermission, the two KSAC foes traded blows throughout the third quarter with Rynd scoring eight points in the frame for the Vikings while Trent Corle scored nine and Pollock deposited six for the Golden Knights.
The third ended 19-17 with the advantage going to the Vikings against to set the score at 52-43 heading into crunch time.
Union made its charge in the fourth by opening up with a 6-2 run, courtesy of a pair of field goals by Pollock and another by Corle.
But Venango Catholic fired back with a 7-2 charge that pushed the lead up to 10 with just over four minutes to play.
The Vikings offense stalled over the next three minutes with Rynd fouling out in the process, but Union was only able to trim its deficit to six with 1:12 to play on a pair of buckets from Pollock and Smith.
The Knights were then forced to foul to extend the game and the Vikings converted on four of eight attempts from the line while Union was only able to retaliate with three free throws and a three-pointer at the buzzer to set the final score at 65-61.
"Playing a really good team in Union can only get you better as you move forward," McIntyre said.
Moving forward for both teams means playing in the District 9 Class A playoffs.
Union will host Clarion in the first round on Wednesday while Venango Catholic earned itself a first-round bye and will host the winner of North Clarion and Clarion- Limestone on Friday.
Rynd led the Vikings with 18 points to go along with seven rebounds while Guth trailed with 14 points and six boards. A.J. Toy and Alec Thurau also deposited 10 points apiece.
Pollock tallied a gamehigh 27 points for the Knights while Corle dropped in 17. Pollock also hauled in seven rebounds.
Originally published in The Derrick February 21, 2011
VC Featured in Faith Magazine
VC alumni Joseph Janidlo was part of a contingent of seminarians who served Mass with the Pope. Check out the Faith magazine article (pgs 10-12) here.
VC's website launch is featured in the Nov / Dec Faith Magazine! Check out the article on page 28.
- Margaret Feldman Writing Winners
- VC students to compete in state science competition
- VC inducts 14 into Honor Society
- More graduates, supporters share VC memories
- Special day at VC brings many memories, smiles
- Venango Catholic going strong at 50 while looking toward future
- 50 Year Celebration
- Vikings capture title
- OC man will be escort for Obama at Army-Navy game
- Lending some helping hands
- VC student wins Applefest logo contest
- Cranberry Festival king and queen announced
- VC headmaster leaves post with mixed emotions
- St. Joe's last graduating class to celebrate 50-year reunion
- St. Joe Class of '62 graduates share memories
- Class wants to greet other St. Joseph students at Friday get-together
- 30 graduate from VC
- Samantha Hugar Awarded the Egan Scholarship for Academic Excellence
- Top students named at VC
- VC student named National Merit finalist
- Ex-Vikings star in rugby at Franciscan
- VCHS Names Prom King and Queen
- Venango Catholic High School Holds NHS Inductions
- Venango Catholic High School Prom Candidates
- Local teens put driving skills to test for big bucks
- Willy Wonka
- VC Students Attend Shakespeare Competition
- Venango Catholic Cheerleaders Visit Head Start Students
- VC 58, West Forest 51
- VC Students Participate in District Chorus
- Catholic Schools Week ends with events at VC
- VC Alum Awarded Third Prize in National Competition
- John Carroll honors former Viking Lutz
- Gearing up for Friends giveaway
- Venango Catholic math team finishes third in competition
- Four area stars make collegiate debuts
- Fryburg Naval commander writes from Arabian Sea
- Venango Catholic names homecoming king, queen
- Vikings clinch KSAC golf title
- Venango Catholic homecoming dance set Saturday
- Venango Catholic High School presented with U.S. Flag
- It's Back to the Books for Some
- VC graduate finds she has mission in life
- AC Scholar-Athlete-of-the-Month
- St. Joseph Class of 1961 holds 50-year reunion
- Hawkins takes top spot in tournament
- Hawkins takes first
- Ex-Viking Rynd to play hoops at the Rock
- Lutz earns academic honors
- VENANGO CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL AWARDED OVER $85,000 IN GRANT FUNDING
- VCHS Presents "Touchtone 'M' for Murder"
- Media Celebrity
- OC Kiwanis honors scholarship winners, Hugh O'Brian seminar participants
- 15 graduates receive diplomas at VC
- Venango Catholic names top students
- Venango Catholic National Honor Society Inductees
- VC academic team in Hometown High-Q semis
- Venango Catholic Students Participate in Wash Day
- Venango Catholic Crowns Prom King, Queen
- Fryburg native named commander of Carrier Strike Group Three
- Students do well at English festival
- St. Joseph announces Service Award recipients
- Students Compete, Win at Science Olympiad
- Vikings' Rynd named D-9 boys Player of the Year
- Local stars shine in Kozel all-star contests
- Final 2010-11 Area Girls Basketball Scoring Leaders
- Final 2010-11 Boys Basketball Scoring Leaders
- Former Marble man honored in special Mass
- The streak goes on
- Perfect to the Maxx
- ONE YEAR LATER, VC ALUM RECALLS SERVING MASS FOR THE POPE
- VC CHEERLEADERS TALK TO STUDENTS ABOUT ATHLETIC PARTICIPATION
- Vikings stay perfect
- Venango Catholic remains undefeated
- Big game dream come true for Packers fans in Steelers country
- STEELERS TOUCH DOWN IN DALLAS
- Vikings slip past Lions
- 17 VC students attend March for Life
- Good Luck Vikings
- Several area players earn all-state honors
- Vikings ground Falcons
- Venango Catholic advances in KDKA High-Q event
- VC math team places fifth in competition
- AP SCHOLARS
- Friends for Food passes $36,000 mark
- Right on target
- Venango Catholic marks anniversary of predecessor
- VC graduate returns from Iraq deployment
- Venango Catholic Names Homecoming King, Queen
- Venango Catholic launches new website
- Vikings open with pair of victories
- VC grad completes sub-internship at Cleveland medical facility
- Oil City native receives business award from San Antonio chamber
- 19 receive diplomas at Venango Catholic graduation
- Pragle, Hesdon head KSAC teams
- Ex-Viking Lutz honored
- OC woman elected to student position for physicians group
- Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark visits school
- Venango Catholic High School Receives IT KickStart Grant
- VC student accepts appointment to West Point
- OC girl to get Girl Scout Gold Award
- Rynd surpasses 1,000-point mark
- VC, St. Patrick, St. Stephen set for Catholic Schools Week
- Ex-Viking DeLaney places at Bucknell