Vikings ground Falcons
By RYAN KUNSELMAN
Venango Catholic's Maxx Rynd is triple-
teamed during Tuesday's game against
A-C Valley. By Jerry Sowden
Get ready to dust off the age-old nickname of "Comeback Kids," because the Venango Catholic Vikings are about to don the title.
For the second game in a row, the Vikings trailed heading into the fourth quarter only to pull out Tuesday night's Keystone Shortway Athletic Conference victory as they dropped Allegheny- Clarion Valley, 65-62, at Monsignor Antoun Gymnasium to stay unbeaten on the season.
The Vikings (11-0, 8-0) found themselves trailing 45-44 after three quarters, but put the clamps down on the Falcons (6-5, 4-3) early in the fourth. Venango Catholic went on a 13-0 run that ate up nearly five minutes of the clock with eight of those points coming from Maxx Rynd.
Refusing to fade quietly, though, the Falcons' offense went on a 14-4 tear of its own.
Venango Catholic's Ben Guth
(right) battles for a rebound with
A-C Valley's Jeff Eaton.
By Jerry Sowden
Brody Irwin kick-started the run for A-C with a threepointer followed by a field goal from Ryan Bartley.
Rynd countered with a slashing layup down the lane, but Allan Eaton kept the Falcon offense rolling by putting in three points the oldfashioned way.
Ben Guth followed for the Vikings with a pair of free throws before Eaton put the Falcons on his shoulders and scored six unanswered to pull A-C Valley within two at 61-59 with just :21 remaining.
That was as close as the score would get, however, as Venango Catholic hit four clutch free throws, two from Guth and two from Rynd, to keep the Falcons at bay.
Bartley would bank home a triple for A-C as time expired to set the final score at 65-62.
"I think they're learning how to win," Venango Catholic coach Ed McIntyre said. "I think they're continuing to fight through adversity and we saw that against Cranberry and against A-C Valley, and A-C Valley is a pretty good team. The guys know how important it is to make free throws at the end and make good decisions and I'm glad they handled it well."
The pace was fast and furious thoughout the entire game between the KSAC foes leading up to the final showdown with neither team calling a timeout until just two minutes were left in the third quarter.
In the first frame, the Falcons were able to overcome nine turnovers and scratch out a 13-12 lead.
The Vikings snatched the lead in the first minute of the second with back-toback field goals by Garrett Hawkins and held the advantage for most of the frame, but with the score at 29-24 and just under a minute remaining in the half, Irwin popped in a layup and a triple to tie the score at 29-29 midway through.
A-C Valley went on an 8-0 late in the third quarter to take a 45-38 lead, only to see the Vikings answer with a four-point play from Hawkins and a bucket by Rynd to cut the deficit to one point.
Rynd led the Vikings with 18 points and seven rebounds while Guth was close behind with 16. Hawkins knocked down three treys on his way to tallying 12 and Alec Thurau chipped in with 10.
Eaton led all scorers with 27 for A-C Valley and Bartley scored 15 and swiped 19 rebounds. Irwin deposited 13 to round out the double-figure scoring.
Originally published in The Derrick January 20, 2011
VC Featured in Faith Magazine
VC alumni Joseph Janidlo was part of a contingent of seminarians who served Mass with the Pope. Check out the Faith magazine article (pgs 10-12) here.
VC's website launch is featured in the Nov / Dec Faith Magazine! Check out the article on page 28.
- 16 graduate from Venango Catholic
- Golfer Scholarship
- Baseball Field Named
- Margaret Feldman Writing Winners
- VC students to compete in state science competition
- VC inducts 14 into Honor Society
- More graduates, supporters share VC memories
- Special day at VC brings many memories, smiles
- Venango Catholic going strong at 50 while looking toward future
- 50 Year Celebration
- Vikings capture title
- OC man will be escort for Obama at Army-Navy game
- Lending some helping hands
- VC student wins Applefest logo contest
- Cranberry Festival king and queen announced
- VC headmaster leaves post with mixed emotions
- St. Joe's last graduating class to celebrate 50-year reunion
- St. Joe Class of '62 graduates share memories
- Class wants to greet other St. Joseph students at Friday get-together
- 30 graduate from VC
- Samantha Hugar Awarded the Egan Scholarship for Academic Excellence
- Top students named at VC
- VC student named National Merit finalist
- Ex-Vikings star in rugby at Franciscan
- VCHS Names Prom King and Queen
- Venango Catholic High School Holds NHS Inductions
- Venango Catholic High School Prom Candidates
- Local teens put driving skills to test for big bucks
- Willy Wonka
- VC Students Attend Shakespeare Competition
- Venango Catholic Cheerleaders Visit Head Start Students
- VC 58, West Forest 51
- VC Students Participate in District Chorus
- Catholic Schools Week ends with events at VC
- VC Alum Awarded Third Prize in National Competition
- John Carroll honors former Viking Lutz
- Gearing up for Friends giveaway
- Venango Catholic math team finishes third in competition
- Four area stars make collegiate debuts
- Fryburg Naval commander writes from Arabian Sea
- Venango Catholic names homecoming king, queen
- Vikings clinch KSAC golf title
- Venango Catholic homecoming dance set Saturday
- Venango Catholic High School presented with U.S. Flag
- It's Back to the Books for Some
- VC graduate finds she has mission in life
- AC Scholar-Athlete-of-the-Month
- St. Joseph Class of 1961 holds 50-year reunion
- Hawkins takes top spot in tournament
- Hawkins takes first
- Ex-Viking Rynd to play hoops at the Rock
- Lutz earns academic honors
- VENANGO CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL AWARDED OVER $85,000 IN GRANT FUNDING
- VCHS Presents "Touchtone 'M' for Murder"
- Media Celebrity
- OC Kiwanis honors scholarship winners, Hugh O'Brian seminar participants
- 15 graduates receive diplomas at VC
- Venango Catholic names top students
- Venango Catholic National Honor Society Inductees
- VC academic team in Hometown High-Q semis
- Venango Catholic Students Participate in Wash Day
- Venango Catholic Crowns Prom King, Queen
- Fryburg native named commander of Carrier Strike Group Three
- Students do well at English festival
- St. Joseph announces Service Award recipients
- Students Compete, Win at Science Olympiad
- Vikings' Rynd named D-9 boys Player of the Year
- Local stars shine in Kozel all-star contests
- Final 2010-11 Area Girls Basketball Scoring Leaders
- Final 2010-11 Boys Basketball Scoring Leaders
- Former Marble man honored in special Mass
- The streak goes on
- Perfect to the Maxx
- ONE YEAR LATER, VC ALUM RECALLS SERVING MASS FOR THE POPE
- VC CHEERLEADERS TALK TO STUDENTS ABOUT ATHLETIC PARTICIPATION
- Vikings stay perfect
- Venango Catholic remains undefeated
- Big game dream come true for Packers fans in Steelers country
- STEELERS TOUCH DOWN IN DALLAS
- Vikings slip past Lions
- 17 VC students attend March for Life
- Good Luck Vikings
- Several area players earn all-state honors
- Vikings ground Falcons
- Venango Catholic advances in KDKA High-Q event
- VC math team places fifth in competition
- AP SCHOLARS
- Friends for Food passes $36,000 mark
- Right on target
- Venango Catholic marks anniversary of predecessor
- VC graduate returns from Iraq deployment
- Venango Catholic Names Homecoming King, Queen
- Venango Catholic launches new website
- Vikings open with pair of victories
- VC grad completes sub-internship at Cleveland medical facility
- Oil City native receives business award from San Antonio chamber
- 19 receive diplomas at Venango Catholic graduation
- Pragle, Hesdon head KSAC teams
- Ex-Viking Lutz honored
- OC woman elected to student position for physicians group
- Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark visits school
- Venango Catholic High School Receives IT KickStart Grant
- VC student accepts appointment to West Point
- OC girl to get Girl Scout Gold Award
- Rynd surpasses 1,000-point mark
- VC, St. Patrick, St. Stephen set for Catholic Schools Week
- Ex-Viking DeLaney places at Bucknell